Monday, June 15, 2009

Penguins!!!

During my trip to New York, I had the chance to talk with the AD of a childrens' publisher. He suggested that I do a few childrens' market samples to make my portfolio more marketable. I decided to focus on penguins from an old CCAD assignment and figured that penguins are cute, huggable animals that all kids like. So, here's a rough look at the process behind my sushi-loving penguins.
After making detailed sketches, compositions and color studies I sculpted the penguin characters for the painting and shot photos.

After transfering the final drawing, I painted transparent glazes of acrylic paint to give the piece a medium tone, next I added the darks and then started glazes of color.



A few friends have encouraged me to flesh out a story and write a childrens' book inspired off this piece. Right now I want to concentrate on other pieces to get more diversity in my portfolio, but I may return to this concept sometime soon. We'll see what happens. I hope you like it, let me know if you have any suggestions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment